Friday, November 1, 2019

The Weekend Roundup - 'R'

It's time again for Tom's fun meme The Weekend Roundup. I missed last week as we are having a new laminate floor installed in the room where our computers are located - sawdust and blogging don't always work well together...

Radio begins with 'R', and Grandpa's first name was Ralph, so here we are! I'm guessing this to be 1929 based on the notations on the following photo. Ultimately he installed radios in police, sherif and volunteer fire departments in West Virginia and Ohio. Self taught in radio, he could work those heavy units filled with vacuum tubes.

Ultimately he installed Radios in police, sherif and volunteer fire departments in West Virginia and Ohio. Self taught in radio, he could work those heavy units filled with vacuum tubes. These photos were printed from negatives in the late 1970s. The radio set in the second and third views is in their dining room at 1645 Oregon Avenue in Steubenville, Ohio


Our children (sadly, not this little any more :) riding on what we called a Red Rider, by Radio Flyer. It is seriously red, as is Cam' sweater and the Mickey tent...

These fireworks over Derby are very Red!

A Favorite. The always lovely Patti captured this bi of flora growing through the curb in downtown Ansonia. I do not expect to see much more of this as winter closes in - so we enjoy what we can as long as we can. Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. ...Ralph, R is a custom made letter for you and your family! Radios sure have come a long ways over the years. Radio Flyer I Remember them well. Fabulous fireworks, I need to learn how to take photos of them. That looks butterfly bush growing a long the curb. Thanks Ralph for stopping by, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your old photos are so charming. Spectacular red fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great old photos, I like nostalgic radios, like my grandfather had one...
    GRRRRRRRRReetings fRom GeRmany :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures, Ralph. I would have liked knowing your grandfather. I wasn't born yet in 1929, soon after though. He was a Ham Radio Operator, I have been one since 1961 but haven't been on the air lately. Our deed restrictions prohibit having an outside antenna so I mostly operate from my car. I have several oid radios, my oldest is a WWII Army model BC-342 which I use for shortwave listening, but not ately.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice "R" pictures, Ralph! I love seeing old photos! The one of your kids in the Red Rider, is super cute. Enjoy your week!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those old photos are wonderful! Beautiful red fireworks!

    ReplyDelete

The Valley-Voice Newsletter for Aug. 31

The Valley-Voice Newsletter is here: https://205bf1ef-57da-4a6a-ac50-7988750745dc.filesusr.com/ugd/d1ec9b_df9aa19b9618439eaf0bbcfe0f7a8531.p...