Friday, February 21, 2020

The Weekend Roundup, 'H'

I'm back this week for Tom's fun meme, The Weekend RoundupThe eighth letter of the alphabet is today's feature, so let the prompts begin...


Starts with 'H' and High is this classic shot of the collapsed roof on the Hartford Civic Center (now XL Center). High up on the 22nd floor of the 'Gold Building' in my father's work office is he and my grandmother surveying the wreckage. On 19 January 1978 the massive roof collapsed in the early morning, hours after spectators left a University of Connecticut basketball game (not hockey as the video notes). This 1978 photo is kind of eerie with the reflections overlooking the wreckage... 

Here is a quick video about the 1978 roof collapse

Harbor is another, more specifically, the New Haven CT Harbor. The largest item shipped and exported from here is scrap steel...

A natural 'H' is, of course,  Horse. Horse and pony rides were available at last September's Harvest Festival in Ansonia. 

I also like the pony party and petting zoo logo. A disarming smiling Happy Horse is what I see...

A Favorite is Patti's capture of yesterday's sunset over our backyard. Have a great Week all!





4 comments:

  1. This "H" Day was your day, Ralph, living so close to Hartford. Perhaps I should have used our Houston, I didnt even think of doing that. Maybe next time. Since in 1978 the Harbor Center it could be that our Astrodome was the largest covered stadium. It was the largest in 1965 when built. We live in a contiguous suburb, Katy, TX, and are about 25 plus miles from downtown Houston.
    The Pony Party sounds really great. And that sunset was special.
    Have a nice weekend.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thanks Ralph for the HISTORY lesson about the roof collapse, I'm glad HAD I didn't HAVE anything to do with that!
    ...who knew that the New HAVEN CT HARBOR shipped so much scrap steel? Surely not me! I never gave a thought to HORSE. You should rent seats in your backyard for view the sunset. Thanks Ralph for be HERE, enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos all of them, but my favourite is the last one ❤︎

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting video and fortunate that it fell when people were not there. I love your last shot of the sunset. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

The Valley-Voice Newsletter for Aug. 31

The Valley-Voice Newsletter is here: https://205bf1ef-57da-4a6a-ac50-7988750745dc.filesusr.com/ugd/d1ec9b_df9aa19b9618439eaf0bbcfe0f7a8531.p...