Friday, May 29, 2020

The Weekend Roundup, 'V'

Friday's here, so time again for a favorite meme The Weekend Roundup hosted by Tom. Today's letter, the 22nd, has its charms, and given my last name, I'll start there...

Villers is our name so a family portrait of the extended Villers family is in order :) The time is July 1969, the place Brigantine, NJ. I'm on the upper left in gold. Note the late 1960s dress and hair styles!

More Villers, The time is in the summer of 1945 after V-J Day, the place along the Pennsylvania Turnpike to or from Atlantic City. Grandma Agnes (O'Hanon) Villers and my Aunt Terry. Note the license tag - he had these personalized 'RV' Ohio plates from the mid-1930s...

This is a Vietnam Veteran's memorial at the beach in West Haven, CT




Voluminous. Our son is a software developer in Manhattan  working from his Brooklyn apartment. His boss treated him to lunch from a take out. I'll let Cam describe it: 
"When the boss says you can order lunch, why not go all out? I finally tried a Pakistani place I've been meaning to check out.
Clockwise from top left: chicken biryani (slow cooked rice) and chicken kabobs, samosa chaat (chaat is fried potato pieces, fried bread pieces, onions, and chickpeas, in a yogurt sauce; all that over two potato samosas), paratha (flatbread).

The spice level is fine but to be honest I think the number of spices is a lot more interesting than the heat. I haven't had this many flavors at one time in two months."

6 comments:

  1. ...the VILLER family is a handsome bunch!
    ...I didn't know that VANITY plates dated back so far!
    ...we have an impressive VIETNAM VETERAN' memorial here too, I need to rember it for next time.
    ...VOLUMINOUS for sure and not something that I've ever tried!
    Thanks Ralph for stopping by, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pics of the Viller family. That food is making me hungry! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely portrait of the Villers family <3 What a lunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last name also begins with letter V - Vessels, is my married name, my maiden name was Wilbur. Wow, that PA Turnpike tunnel photo brings back so many memories. We went through all those tunnels so many times, when I lived in Butler, PA for 4 years, as a child in elementary school. Recently, my husband and I have also been through them. Have a good weekend, Ralph!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the 2 old portrait images of your family. Cam's boss may think twice of offering him lunch again!!!. Stay safe and have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

The Valley-Voice Newsletter for Aug. 31

The Valley-Voice Newsletter is here: https://205bf1ef-57da-4a6a-ac50-7988750745dc.filesusr.com/ugd/d1ec9b_df9aa19b9618439eaf0bbcfe0f7a8531.p...